Saturday, June 18, 2011

Ready to get “on the road” again

 

Saturday, June 18, 2011                                                                                                                                                  Lorraine’s report

So here goes, it’s been quite a while since we last posted a blog. Yes, we did survive a very wet, cold and windy end of winter, and an unusually cold, wet, gray spring. In fact, everything is late in blooming, with strawberries between a week to two weeks until they start coming on strong, with the raspberries right behind them. The weatherman has said that this year was record setting, with temperatures being way below normal, rain and snow fall amounts high above normal, and winds stronger than ever. And it’s finally official, La Nina has ended. Our first 70 degree day was not until May 20th a full eight months since the last 70 degree day in mid September.

Chuck finished working at the Cherry Point Oil Refinery on June 9th. He worked his last 13.5 hour shift of nights on May 25th; he started on April 9th, a total of 48 straight days, taking only 4.5 days off during that time. He worked two extra weeks after the official turn around ended. I can attest to the fact that he was one tired man after all those hours, over 900 hours or so since he started in late February. I know he is happy to be retired again.

Our life is slowly returning to normal. Chuck washed the entire outside of the coach last week, a big job. We’ve taken the rugs and bedding to the Laundromat to wash everything up from all the stormy weather we’ve had.

We hope to head out of Latitude 49 tomorrow and head south to Grandy Lake Thousand Trails out of Mt. Vernon, to meet up with Tim, who watched Misty for us when I was away to our grand daughter’s 6th birthday in California. Other friends, Steve and Sandy, are just up the road at Lake Tyee by Baker Lake, and we hope to see them at the same time. It will be nice to get away for a bit.

Last night Chuck took me to “Race for the Cure”, held in Lynden, WA. It has been 10 years since I completed my seven plus months of cancer treatment. I’ve attended nine “Race for the Cure” events, with last year being in Gloucester, Virginia on June 5th, missing the event in 09, when we headed north to Alaska. I have to say, I didn’t cry this time when we started out on the survivor’s lap; I’ve cried every year, it is just so emotional for me.

This last Thursday would have been my dad’s 103rd birthday. We took flowers up to mom and dad’s grave. I sure do miss him and his wonderful advice. He was the hardest working man I think I have ever known. We didn't know we didn't have lots, because he provided us a nice warm home, food and tons of love. I remember the day you turned 70, sitting in the kitchen with all the cards from your 10 children, and the happy, contented look on your face. I hope you and mom are both happy together, until we meet again. I love you daddy!!!

We would like to wish all our friends and family who are dads a very Happy Father’s Day. On the 27th is Rick, our son’s birthday. Happy Birthday Rick!!! The 27th is also Richard and Sandy’s second wedding anniversary. They are going to Las Vegas to celebrate. Happy Anniversary and hope you have a great trip!

Until next time……Lorraine

 

6/19/11                                                                                                                                                                          Chuck’s report

It’s been since late March that I’ve written and I probably don’t have much to say but want to get back in the normal mode of writing our blog each week.  I’m not saying we will write each week but will probably write more often than once every three months. 

I was working back at the refinery for a heavy maintenance period and a couple of weeks after to help cut back on some overtime for them.  I got tired of the hours, I had a couple of two week paychecks with 176 hours on each, good money but too many hours for an old man.  The actual work I was doing wasn’t physical but I was on my feet for the majority of the shift so my feet and legs had to get back in shape. 

While I was working nights, Lorraine did a great job of taking care of me!!!  She tried her best to keep things quite, once she even chased the guy mowing the lawn out and told them to come back in the afternoon.  I know how hard it was for her, what with me working the long hours and sleeping, she was alone most of the time. 

Lorraine did get a chance to go down to California for our grand daughter’s 6th birthday party in the middle of April.  This was right after I started working the string of nights so our friend Tim watched our dog for us while she was gone, thanks again Tim.

They only allowed us to work 19 out of 21 days during the turnaround so I usually took off two shifts off in a row.  This allowed me to have some time to rest up and still be able to take Lorraine out for an occasional dinner. 

I worked 12 hour days, four days a week for the last two weeks, my last day at work was on June 9th.  There were a bunch of us retired guys out there for this period and most of the guys I worked with for the last three/four years.  I really did enjoy working and seeing the old gang once again, and it was good to exercise the brain too.  But even though I had fun, I did celebrate when it was over. 

The weather since we’ve been here has been anything except stellar, that’s for sure.  We set record low temperature and/or record high rain totals for March, April and May.  In fact, on May 20th it hit 70F for the first time since last September, a record for that length of time too. It wasn’t until early June when we had two days in a row above 70F, not like the rest of the country was getting.   At least I was at work for most of those days so it didn’t matter too much but we are sure glad to see some nicer weather.  And being here this spring will make us enjoy the nicer weather where ever we may be next spring (I hope). 

So for the last 10 days, I’ve been catching up on things, getting back to just Lorraine and me being together again too, yea.  We cleaned the rig, inside and out, put the car I bought for work in the shop and got some errands done too.  I have a few appointments I have to make in the next couple of months so we won’t get too far away until all those are done.  But with the price of diesel and it being nice weather here for the rest of the summer, maybe staying close is a good thing.

We do plan on heading out today to meet with some friends for two days.  Then we are planning on heading down to Oregon for a short trip, need to get back on the road and we have some things to do there anyway.  But like I said, we don’t plan on going too far or be gone for too long until probably late August or early September.  Plus we have plans to meet up with some of friends from Canada, both here and maybe even at their place too, need to make plans for that to work however. 

We’ve been tossing around a few ideas for our trip South this fall.  We may travel through Utah instead of the usual Oregon coast trip we’ve made each year in the past.  Not that we don’t like the Oregon coast, that’s one of our favorite places to travel but we would like to explore something new and see new sights.  And we are thinking of spending some time in South Texas this winter, first time for that too but lots of planning to be done if we do that too. 

But enough of that, let’s get back to normal life.  We will make our plans in jell-o and take what comes our way.  Back to the “Here we are, on the road” lifestyle for us once again. 

And now for some pictures, not too many to choose from as we haven’t led a very active life for the past three months but I’ll find some, I’m sure. 

 

Lorraine, Susy and Kaitlyn      Susy and Kaitlyn petting the pony on a field trip from school.

DSCN6053 DSCN6056

Kaitlyn’s Birthday and party.

DSCN6061 DSCN6067

DSCN6070 DSCN6075 

DSCN6089 DSCN6093

New Dress and best friends.

DSCN6103 DSCN6107

More school friends.

DSCN6114 DSCN6123

Nana, Mom, Dad and Kaitlyn.   At Chucky Cheese with the gang.

DSCN6142 DSCN6148

DSCN6152 

Katie having fun.

DSCN6206 DSCN6209

 DSCN6211 DSCN6214 

DSCN6219

Lorraine got to see both of our children on the same day, Susy in California and Rich here in Washington. 

DSCN6221 DSCN6222

Rich and his friend Donna. 

DSCN6239

Spring is here, notice it isn’t raining, yea. 

 DSCN6349 DSCN6357

 DSCN6358 DSCN6359

At the Relay for Life Cancer walk. 

 DSCN6363 DSCN6369

DSCN6372 DSCN6376

DSCN6379

And that’s all folks. 

Thanks   Chuck

3 comments:

JoeKatie said...

If you do come through Salt Lake area we would love to see/host you while you are here.
It is nice to have an update on your blog and that work is over.

Mark and Chris said...

Glad to see you are both well and done your time in Blaine. Time to get rolling. Wishing you good health and safe travels.

Mark and Chris said...

Glad to see you are both well and done your time in Blaine. Time to get rolling. Wishing you good health and safe travels.