Sunday, September 23, 2012

We’re in Blaine, WA

 

9/23/12                                                                                                                         Chuck’s report

Damn doctors anyway, how come they have to practice on me??  A long week of doctor visits and all they can say so far is they have eliminated this/that but still don’t know why I have this shortness of breath.  I know lots of folks are much worse off than I am but it’s frustrating to say the least.  Our good friend, Mark, is on the list for a lung transplant and he is handling that better than I’m doing with my issues.  

We returned back here to see our family doctor but he’s been on a much needed vacation for the past week and his replacement doesn’t seem to “hear” me.  He has run a couple of test and sent me out to have a C T scan.  After finally getting approval from our insurance company to allow this doctor to do what he thinks is best for me, not necessarily in the best interest of the insurance company, I finally got the C T scan scheduled on Thursday afternoon. 

I had to fast for this test, not sure why but nothing for 4 hours before.  They need to run two tests, one to get a base look and the second with a dye that is injected via an IV.  I was all set up for this until I walked in the room and saw what the machine was, very similar to a MRI but smaller.  They wanted me to lay on a bed and they would send the bed through the machine, sort of like through the hole in a donut, where I would have to hold my breath for a few seconds.  Then they would get me out, start the IV thing and send me back in to track the dye, a bit longer this time. 

Well, as some of you know, I’m claustrophobic, sometimes very much so. They tried to get me on the table and into the machine but I just couldn’t do it, tired a number of times but no luck.  They had an opening for another attempt on Friday morning so I called our doctor and had him prescribe a “chill pill” for me, something that would almost knock me out yet allow me to cooperate with the x-ray tech.  So next morning I took my chill pill 1/2 hour before as prescribed and Lorraine drove us to the place for my test. 

Even though the doctor said the pill would “knock me out”, I felt very little effect, still couldn’t get in the C T machine thing.  We tried three times, waited 1/2 hour and tried again but still no luck, I’m such a chicken but have no control over it, I just couldn’t get in there. 

So Friday afternoon it was back to the doctor’s office, scheduled to get the results of this this test and see what’s next.  Of course, there were no results to review so all we did was re-schedule the test at the hospital on Monday, this time they will put me under and do the test.  This will make three times I’ve fasted for one test, all because I’m such a wimp and can’t/won’t get in the machine. 

We have an appointment with our regular doctor on Monday afternoon to review the results of this test and see what he suggests for follow-up.  If this test comes back and shows no problems, I’m thinking we will just go on down the road.  They haven’t found anything life threating so maybe I’ll live with it and see what happens and hope it gets better.  I will tell him I think this is a result of my back being “out'” and see if he agrees.  Anyone want to bet the doctor says to lose weight and exercise more??  Not that I don’t need to do that but I don’t think that is the only cause of my problem. 

On a better note, yesterday was Lorraine and my 40th wedding anniversary.  We celebrated with family and friends last month as we didn’t plan on being here now so we just had a quiet day by ourselves and went out for a nice dinner.  Lorraine sent a note out on facebook about it and received lots of replies and well wishes.  Thanks to all who wished us well on this special occasion.  And once again I’ll say, I love you Lorraine, thanks for being with me for the last 40 years!  Guess it proves how smart I am, to have picked you as my wife. 

We also went to see a movie yesterday afternoon.  We have heard about the movie 2016, about where our country could be if we continue on the path we are headed.  We both were amazed on how no one was talking when they left the movie, it was a dismal picture of where we are and where we may be going.  It wasn’t a first class Hollywood movie, in fact, Lorraine got “car sick” from the motion of the camera.  All I will say about the “plot” is that I hope we can change (pun intended) the direction we seem to be headed. 

The weather here has been nice but we can tell that fall is here or approaching fast.  We had a bit of rain yesterday morning, otherwise it's continuing with the dry spell.  The forecast is for rain on Tuesday and Thursday but the temperatures are still getting into the 70s, not bad. 

As for our travels, once again I have to say it depends on what the doctor has to say.  If nothing shows up and we get on the road, it won’t be until Wednesday or Thursday and then we’ll head South once again.

I don’t have any pictures to add, we haven’t been anywhere.  Lorraine has taken a few pictures of the sunsets with her cell phone but I don’t know how to download them to the computer so this post will be without any.

Thanks,  

Chuck

Sunday, September 23, 2012                                                                                    Lorraine writes

Chuck has written his report for the week, and I think he is being too hard on himself.  There are things that happened to him in his younger years that have made him who he is.  Neither you nor or have walked in his shoes so there is no way I feel I can judge him.  He is who he is, and I thought he was incredibly brave to try to do the test again.  We will find out what his problem is, and we will deal with it if/when we do. 

As I wrote on face book yesterday, I am thankful for the wonderful time we have had these past few years.  Wow, what a ride. Everyday is a blessing and we try not to take anything for granted.  Thank you for your steadfastness and continuing love. 

That’s it for me, until next time…

Lorraine

No comments: